Your cart is currently empty!
Grow a Crystal Kit
Grow your own crystals and watch them glow! This kit is a wonderful introduction to the fun world of chemistry and crystals.
Kit Includes: Crystal powder, glow in the dark powder, craft sticks, pipe cleaners, seed rock, and fishing line.
Recommended for kids ages 8+.
We all know that emeralds, rubies, and sapphires are all colorful and beautiful crystals. But crystals aren’t always just the lovely and colorful stones that we typically imagine them to be. Did you know that sugar, salt, snow, and even pencil lead or graphite are also crystals?
The crystal growing science kit will let your kids grow their own crystals and watch them glow!
What You'll love About this Kit?
- It’s a wonderful introduction to the fun world of chemistry and crystals.
- It’s a fun and educational science project that will definitely let kids learn about molecular composition and structure.
- It’s a great way to enhance scientific and creative skills. Artistic kids can have fun with the different colors and shapes that they can make with the crystals.
What does the kit include?
The crystal growing science kit includes:
- crystal powder
- glow-in-the-dark powder
- craft sticks
- pipe cleaners
- seed rock
- a fishing line
What Science Concepts are Covered in this Kit?
- what is a supersaturated solution?
- what is a crystal?
- how do crystals form?
What are Some Fun Things to Learn About Crystals?
There are many fun things to learn about crystals when you buy this crystal-growing science kit. Here is a couple of them:
- All crystals have very well-organized molecular structures that can form all kinds of different shapes. For example, salt crystals form cubes while quartz crystals form hexagons.
- Crystal molecules can also have different structures that’s why crystals formed from the same elements can be very different from each other. For example, diamonds and graphite are both made up of carbon. But while pencil lead or graphite is made up of carbon sheets forming layers on top of each other, diamonds are formed deep inside the Earth’s core under high pressure that’s why the carbon molecules are so tightly packed that they create a transparent and super strong crystal.
How Can You Get Creative with this Kit?
With this kit, kids can experience growing their own crystals.
- They can make crystals with different shapes or colors.
- They can also try different conditions of cooling or evaporation to see how these will affect the formation and growth of the crystals. Kids can let the crystal solution cool in the refrigerator or leave it at room temperature. They can let the solution evaporate quickly under direct sunlight or more slowly in a shaded corner of a room.
- They can put the solution in different shapes of containers.
There are certainly numerous ways to do this experiment, giving kids more hands-on experience with growing crystals right in the comfort of their homes.
For more on all things science and raising kids to dream big, have a look through our site.