Tangrams are puzzles that were invented in China 2000 years ago. Original tangrams were made of wood, glass, or other materials.
This printable worksheet will allow you to create two different tangrams – a colored one and one that you can color and design however you want.
Get ready for hours of challenge and fun as you try to solve tangram puzzles.
A History of Tangrams
A tangram puzzle has seven pieces that can be arranged into different shapes. The seven pieces include 5 triangles of different sizes, 1 small square, and 1 parallelogram. When tangrams became popular in the 1800s, people came up with around 6500 different shapes using the pieces. Today, the puzzle remains popular, and people continue to invent new shapes and designs from the pieces.
What you’ll need
- printable worksheet
- coloring materials
- designs and figures to copy
What you’ll love
- It improves kids’ attention span. Younger kids can develop their motor skills when they play with the pieces.
- It’s a great way to teach kids older kids about geometry and spatial relationships. Younger kids can learn about colors and shapes.
- It enhances strategic thinking, creativity, and problem-solving skills.
How to play tangram
Kids can be allowed to play freely and create any shape they want. However, the most common way to play with tangram puzzles is to show a design or figure that kids need to copy by arranging the different pieces of the puzzle.
Traditionally, the target design or figure will not show the lines for the shapes. It is up to the player to figure out where each shape will fit in the puzzle.
Rules of the game
- All pieces must be used.
- Each tangram piece must touch at least one other piece.
- The pieces must not overlap.